I got tired of all this serious reading, so I picked up something light. This is the second (or the third?) time I'm going through the first book in the trilogy — the first time being over a decade ago. I'm amazed by how much I remembered wrongly and how little happened in the first book. I vaguely remember listening to the rest of the four books on Audible, but I have no recollection of the events beyond superficial knowledge.
So, here's what happens in the book (spoilers, as you're like 37 years late to read it):
- Earth is blown up
- Then, the main characters get picked up by the race that blew up Earth
- Then, they get spaced
- Then, the supporting characters pick up the main characters
- Then, they all go to a planet of a corporation that builds planets
- Then, we learn that mice are human overlords
- What's the question?
- A bit of action (vs. two police officers that go 💨)
- Off to The Restaurant at the End of the Universe!
All of this is peppered with a huge dose of humor, deus ex machinas, and overall silliness! After all, this is what the book is about. Anyway, I got exactly what I wanted — something quick, silly, and easy to read. Thank you, Douglas, and rest in peace.